Monday 14 July 2014

Crochet Confusion! UK and US Crochet why do you have to use different terms?

I decided to have a go at learning to Crochet again. I did what a 21st century girl does and I Goggled it and
watched some YouTube videos. This is where my confusion started!

I originally learnt to crochet from my Great Nan about 30 (?) years ago. I was never very good at it and always seemed to end up with the stitches so tight I couldn't even get the hook in for the next one! Not very useful to doing anything and very frustrating when you are a kid too.

Turns out I was getting mixed up between UK and US terms for crotchet stitches! Why cant they just be the same? When half of what I'm reading or watching mean one thing by "double crochet" and the the other something else no wonder I nearly gave up. Until I found this excellent comparison on FreshStitches.com which helps so much!

UK v US Crochet stitches - helping me to sort out all the confusion!
Now I just need to check if the book, pattern or video is using UK or US terms and I'm fine!

Does anyone else find this confusing? I'm from the UK by the way so will be using the UK terms primarily, mainly because if I get a pattern or magazine in a shop that's what's used. Same at local craft classes!


No comments:

Post a Comment